As human beings we spend considerably long life compared to many other living things. During this period, we deal with millions of things and activities. Although only there are few things that we truly take with us throughout the life. A family heritage perhaps. May be loved ones if we are so lucky.
Can you remember one other thing which will stay with us throughout our life. Yes! Your google account which filled up with personal correspondence, bills, medical records, and exciting moments from your past.
Have you ever wondered what would happen to your google account after your death?
Glad to the evolution of cloud computing, your google account and Gmail collection will likely long outlast you.
Take couple of minutes to reveal about the contents in your google account, especially Gmail. Your google account will provide accumulated evidence of years of your progress. Also, it may contain extremely personal information exploitable for the modern data driven world that can led to privacy hurricane.
But don’t worry.
Google Inactive Account manager will come to rescue you. Using that you can set your entries in google account to self-destruction, after your death.
Here's how to make your Google account self destruct.
- Log in to your google account.
- Navigate to Inactive Account Manager.
- Click on the “start” button.
- Now you can decide when Google should consider your Google Account inactivation. Most common waiting period is 12 months.
- To avoid the deactivation of google account accidently, you can add your phone number and email address.
- Google will SMS and email you before deactivating the account.
“We’ll use the phone number for the sole purpose of ensuring that only the trusted contact can actually download your data. Verifying the identity using a mobile phone number prevents data access from unauthorized people who might get hold of the email we send to your trusted contact.” Explains Google.
- Select the “Next” button.
- You can add up to 10 people to notify if your Google Account becomes inactive.
- You can also give them access to some of your data.
- Click “Next”
- Now you can toggle the option which says “Yes, delete my inactive Google Account”.
Deletion of account only happens three months after your account is declared inactive. If you’ve decided to allow someone to download your content, they’ll be able to do it so for 3 months before it gets deleted.
- Select “Review Plan”, make sure everything is in order, then click on “confirm plan.”